WASHINGTON STATE THESPIAN FESTIVAL 2021
MARCH 17th - 20th
VIRTUAL EVENT FOR ALL WA THEATRE STUDENTS
Thespian Registration Fee $35
Non-Thespians Registration Fee $45
Individual Adult Participant Registration Fee $45
Troupe Directors - NO FEE
REGISTRATION OPENS: February 22nd CLOSES: March 8th
All late registrations will be charged $50 late fee. Late registrations cannot be guaranteed performance or competition slots. Late registration ends March 10th. No additional registrations can be taken after that time.
Teachers should use the Registration Website Link below and go to the site to set up their school. You can add students at any time.
Troupe Directors must remember to register online for: STO, Chapter Select Shows, Lip Sync, WIPS, and Thespian Scholarship Applications. Some of these events also require an application to be sent to different locations.
Ways to Participate in State
Below are descriptions of “a few” options and are subject to change to accommodate for a Virtual State Festival.
- Cuttings and Musical Performances - Click Here to Learn more about Cuttings and Musical Performances
- Register with a recording of a play cutting, one act or musical cutting to be adjudicated and played during the festival - 45 minute time limit. Each school may bring only one cutting or Musical Performance.
- Musical WIP - Click Here to Learn More about WIPS
- Register a 10 minute musical cutting of your work-in-progress. Any musical that has not reached opening night yet.
- Honor Troupe Applications - We return next year 2021-2022
- Short Film, Short Animated Film, Short Documentary Film -Were submitted with Thespys this year
- Thespian Scholarship applications - Click Here for Guidelines and Application
- Senior thespians may apply, register, and interview for one of two $1000 scholarships.
- Troupe directors must register these students for scholarship interviews at state.
- STO (State Thespian Officers) Leadership - Click Here for Guidelines and Application
- Students must complete the application form, submit a video as stated in the application, and attend the STO leadership workshop at state.
- Troupe Directors must register candidates online prior to the conference.
- Chapter Select Shows – Click Here to Learn more about Chapter Select Shows
- Schools may apply to perform at the International Festival. If you wish to represent WA State in a Chapter select show, pre-register online.
- PowerPoint Slide for Parade of Troupes
- During state festival, a slide show will be presented to showcase your troupe's work throughout the year. Please note that each school is limited to one slide for the benefit of time. Troupe Directors should send their slide in an email. Contact STO for more information.
- All State Musical - Will return next year - 2022
- Showcase Performances
- Will be determined from the students who received a score in the top 10th percentile at the VIRTUAL Theatre Excellence Awards (Thespys).
- Showcase Production - Will return next year - 2022
- Superior / Excellent Thespy Recognition
- Students receiving recognition will be highlighted at the festival and on this website
- Workshops and Performances
- Attend a wide variety of student performances as well as production and performance based workshops taught by College and National Clinicians.
- There may be several vendors present virtually, possibly one selling State Festival gear.
- Teacher/Troupe Director Meeting and Adult Workshops
- Troupe Director are invited to a meeting on the Saturday of festival. You can learn important dates, information and new ways to be involved in Washington State Thespians and National Thespians (EdTA)!
General Information (When in person)
- The Washington State Thespian Conference is typically during the third (or fourth) weekend in March at either Western or Central Washington University.
- Hotels fill up fast! Many troupe directors book rooms almost a year in advance.
- Only the troupe's Director, Club Advisor or Drama Teacher may submit registration. No parents, volunteers or students may register themselves or others for the State Thespian Conference.
- Absolutely no refunds will be given.
- State consists of two tracks to accommodate our size and the facility space.
- INFORMATION ON TRACKS WILL BE SENT OUT AFTER REGISTRATION.
- Campus food is available for lunch.
- Bills smaller than $20 are appreciated.
VIRTUAL SCHEDULE FOR STATE 2021
You will be able to attend this festival from your computer or mobile device.
Wednesday early evening - March 17
Thursday early evening - march 18
STO Activities, Parade of Troupes, WIPS, and Short Films
friday Early to late evening - March 19
Opening Ceremonies, Keynote Address, Workshop, and Lip Sync
Saturday ALL DAY - March 20
Guests Artists, Workshops, Performances, Showcase Recognition, and so much more...
WAYS TO GIVE BACK - Will return next year (2022)
BENEFITING Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS:
- Silent Auction. Bid on hot merchandise straight from Broadway! Signed show posters, TV shirts, key chains etc.... Credit/debit as well as cash payments will be accepted for winning bids.
- Coin Wars. STO will be carrying change jars all weekend. A possible coin war theme is "war" between true passions: Tech, Acting, Singing, and Dancing. Money goes in the jar of your true passion.
- Duck Buddies. For $2, you can buy a rubber ducky with a celebrity/fictional character/historical figure nametag. Each ducky is a part of a famous couple and your job is to find the person who has your ducky's other half. If you have Bert, you're looking for Ernie! Once you find the person, snap a selfie with each other and your ducks to win a gift card prize!
Benefiting Send-A-Troupe-to-Festival: Will return in 2022
- Minute to Give It. Washington is sending our STO to Nationals for a one-week ITF leadership training this summer. During festival ceremonies, we'll pass a hat for Minute to Give It. All proceeds will go to registration for STO.
Co- Producers of State
Registration and Scheduling Katy Nuttman - email@example.com
Fiscal Questions Beth Orme - firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarships & National Guest Artists Ruben Van Kempen - email@example.com
Vendors and Sponsorship Opportunities Contact Ben Stuart - firstname.lastname@example.org
Adjudicators Suzanne Maguire - email@example.com