WASHINGTON STATE THESPIAN FESTIVAL 2020
MARCH 19, 20, 21
WESTERN Washington University, BELLINGHAM, WA
$10 Adult Observers
$60 Individual Adult Participant
FREE registration for 1 Teacher/Sponsor and up to 5 students for new schools or schools who haven't been in 5 years
REGISTRATION OPENS: DECEMBER 16, 2019 CLOSES: JANUARY 31, 2020
All late registrations will be charged $100 late fee. Late registrations cannot be guaranteed performance or competition slots. Late registration ends FEBRUARY 10th, 2020. No additional registrations can be taken at that time. See website for more detailed information.
Teachers should use the Registration Website Link below and go to the site to set up their school. You can add students at any time.
Troupe Directors must remember to register online for: Showcase Auditions, STO, Short Film Thespys, Honor Troupe Applications, Chapter Select Shows, and Thespian Scholarship Applications. Many of these events also require an application to be sent to different locations.
2019-2020 State Online Registration Changes: To streamline the registration process, applications for student leadership (STO), scholarships, and Film Thespys all must be submitted as you complete your registration for the State Conference. You will also be asked to provide a warning for WIPs and cuttings that may contain mature content.
All students must complete a consent & accept Form prior to attending Events
Ways to Participate in State
Below are descriptions of “a few.”
- Cuttings and Musical Performances - Click Here to Learn more about Cuttings and Musical Performances
- Register with a play cutting, one act or musical cutting to perform and be adjudicated. 70 minute time limit. Each school may bring only one cutting or Musical Performance.
- Musical WIP - Click Here to Learn More about WIPS
- Register a 10 minute musical cutting of your work-in-progress. Any musical that has not reached opening night yet.
- Honor Troupe Applications - Click Here for Guidelines and Application
- Troupes must register and bring required materials to be considered for Honor Troupe. Troupes may participate in specific activities throughout the year to work their way toward becoming a Bronze, Silver, or Gold Thespian Honor Troupe.
- Short Film, Short Animated Film, Short Documentary Film - Click Here for Guidelines and Application
- Individual students may enter a short film to be adjudicated.
- Troupe directors must register these students for short film at state.
- Thespian Scholarship applications - Click Here for Guidelines and Application
- Senior thespians may apply, register, and interview for one of two $1000 scholarships.
- Troupe directors must register these students for scholarship interviews at state.
- STO (State Thespian Officers) Leadership - Click Here for Guidelines and Application
- Students must complete the application form, submit a video as stated in the application, and attend the STO leadership workshop at state.
- Troupe Directors must register candidates online prior to the conference.
- Chapter Select Shows – Click Here to Learn more about Chapter Select Shows
- Schools may apply to perform at the International Festival. If you wish to represent WA State in a Chapter select show, pre-register online.
- PowerPoint Slide for Parade of Troupes
- During state festival, a slide show will be presented to showcase your troupe's work throughtout the year. Please note that each school is limited to one slide for the benefit of time. Troupe Directors should send their slide in an email. Contact STO for more information.
- All State Musical
- Send 2 musical students to both of the all-state musical sessions at State. Students will learn a production number to perform at Closing Ceremonies. No need to pre-register for this event.
- Showcase Performances
- Students who recieved a score in the top 10th percentile at the Regional Theatre Excellence Awards (Thespys) may audition for a main stage showcase. Troupe Directors must pre-register these students online. Check in is Thursday evening at 6:30 p.m. auditions begin at 7:00 p.m.
- Reminder, all participants and materials MUST be the same used at Regionals. Showcase Performers will perform on the main stage for the entire state and are encouraged to dress appropriately.
- Showcase Production
- Students who recieved a score in the top 10th percentile at the Regional Theatre Excellence Awards (Thespys) may participate in showcase interviews on Friday. Students must be pre-registered online
- The top scores in each category will be invited to display their work on Saturday.
- Workshops and Performances
- Attend a wide variety of student performances as well as production and performance based workshops taught by College and National Clinicians.
- There will be several vendors present, including one selling State Festival gear. Students may wish to bring money to purchase items from vendors.
- Teacher/Troupe Director Lunch Meeting and Adult Workshops
- Troupe Director are invited to a Lunch Meeting on the Saturday of festival. Washington Thespians will provide a brown bag lunch and you can learn important dates, information and new ways to be involved in Washington State Thespians and National Thespians (EdTA)!
- The Washington State Thespian Conference is typically during the third (or fourth) weekend in March at either Western or Central Washington University.
- Hotels fill up fast! Many troupe directors book rooms almost a year in advance.
- Only the troupe's Director, Club Advisor or Drama Teacher may submit registration. No parents, volunteers or students may register themselves or others for the State Thespian Conference.
- Absolutely no refunds will be given.
- State consists of two tracks to accommodate our size and the facility space.
- INFORMATION ON TRACKS WILL BE SENT OUT AFTER REGISTRATION.
- Campus food is available for lunch.
- Bills smaller than $20 are appreciated.
When schools arrive at State, the thespian troupe sponsor checks in at the registration table in the theatre lobby by presenting their PO/check/credit card, consent and health forms. They will then receive their registration packet to distribute to students. No student additions are possible at check-in. Extra Observers may purchase their passes at this time.
General Schedule for State
THE SCHEDULE FOR STATE WILL BE AVAILABLE in early March ON GUIDEBOOK, THE APP. GUIDEBOOK IS A COMPLETE, INTERACTIVE, FREE SCHEDULE APP FOR SMARTPHONES AND TABLETS. A LIMITED NUMBER OF PAPER SCHEDULES WILL ALSO BE AVAILABLE.
Showcase Auditions with Registration at 6:30 p.m., Early Registration at 8:00 p.m.
8:30am-9:00am Gold Registration
9:00am-9:50am Gold Opening Ceremony
9:50am-10:10am Blue Registration
10:20am-11:10am Blue Opening Ceremony
10:00am-10:30pm Workshops and Cuttings in various locations
12:40pm-1:50pm Gold Lunch/2:00pm-3:10pm Blue Lunch
4:40pm-6:10pm Gold Dinner/6:20pm-7:50pm Blue Dinner
8:00pm-10:30pm Evening Activities
9:00am-9:50am Gold Opening/10:10am-11:10am Blue Opening
10:00am-3:00pm Workshops and Cuttings in various locations
11:20am-12:30pm Gold Lunch/12:40pm-1:50pm Blue Lunch
2:00pm-3:10pm Gold Closing/3:20pm-4:30pm Blue Closing
WAYS TO GIVE BACK
BENEFITING Broadway Cares Equity Fights AIDS:
- Silent Auction. Bid on hot merchandise straight from Broadway! Signed show posters, TV shirts, key chains etc.... Credit/debit as well as cash payments will be accepted for winning bids.
- Coin Wars. STO will be carrying change jars all weekend. A possible coin war theme is "war" between true passions: Tech, Acting, Singing, and Dancing. Money goes in the jar of your true passion.
- Duck Buddies. For $2, you can buy a rubber ducky with a celebrity/fictional character/historical figure nametag. Each ducky is a part of a famous couple and your job is to find the person who has your ducky's other half. If you have Bert, you're looking for Ernie! Once you find the person, snap a selfie with each other and your ducks to win a gift card prize!
- Minute to Give It. Washington is sending our STO to Nationals for a one-week ITF leadership training this summer. During festival ceremonies, we'll pass a hat for Minute to Give It. All proceeds will go to registration for STO.
Co- Producers of State
Registration, Scheduling, and Fiscal Questions Beth Orme - firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarships & National Guest Artists Ruben Van Kempen - email@example.com
Vendors and Sponsorship Opportunities Contact Ben Stuart - firstname.lastname@example.org
Adjudicators Gretchen Nordleaf-Nelson - email@example.com